Wilderness Travel Permits

In cooperation with the Superior National Forest we issue permits into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW), part of the National Wilderness Preservation System.

Here’s a great brochure: What to Know Before You Go

Online Permits:

For travel within the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, you are required to have a permit in your possession at all times whether on an overnight or day trip.

PermitsDay permits are free and available at our lodge. No advance notice is required.

Advanced reservations are recommended to secure the exact date and entry point you desire; walk-ins are allowed as long as permits are available.

We will be happy to reserve your BWCAW permit for you, the 2020 season starts on Wednesday January 29th 2020 at 9am CST.

To check for availability you can call us or you can check on the BWCAW Reservations Web site at [new window will open when you click on this link.] Permits are issued on a first-come, first-served basis, so reserve your permit as soon as you know your plans.

The nonrefundable reservation fee is $6.00 per permit issued. There is a maximum of 9 persons / 4 canoes allowed on a permit traveling and camping together. There is a user fee of $16.00 (adult) and $8.00 (child 17 and under) per visit. We can make adjustments for group size at the time the permit is picked up. If you make your own permit reservation and are outfitting with us, it is more convenient for you to request the permit be sent to Rockwood Outfitters rather than the Gunflint Ranger District.

This business operates within the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in the Superior National Forest. BWCAW Rules and Regulations

For trips into Canada you’ll need a Remote Area Border Crossing permit.

As a BWCAW Cooperator, this business is an equal opportunity service provider.

PermitsDrones / Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS):

UAS are considered to be both “motorized equipment” and “mechanical transport” as such they cannot take off from, land in, or be operated from congressionally designated Wilderness Areas.

BWCAW Rules and Regulations

Travel Permits

  • You must enter the BWCAW at the entry point and on the entry date shown on your permit.
  • You may not re-enter on a different date using the same permit.
  • Permit stubs become invalid when the group leader exits the wilderness.

Group Size

  • Nine (9) people and four (4) watercraft are the maximum allowed together in the wilderness.
  • You may not exceed the limit at any time or anywhere (on water, portages, campsites) in the BWCAW.
  • Smaller groups increase your wilderness experience and decrease the impacts.

Toilet Facilities & Water Quality

  • Use latrines at designated campsites.
  • Latrines are not garbage cans and should be used for the intended purpose only. Personal waste items such as cigarette butts, cotton swabs, or plastic feminine products should always be packed out and should never go into the latrines.
  • If you’re not near a latrine, dig a small hole 6 to 8 inches deep at least 150-200 feet or more back from the water’s edge. When finished, fill hole and cover with needles and leaves.
  • Bathe and wash dishes at least 150-200 feet from lakes and streams.
  • All soaps pollute water including soaps labeled “biodegradable.”


  • Cans and glass bottles are not allowed.
  • Containers of fuel, insect repellent, medicines, personal toilet articles, and other items that are not foods or beverages are the only cans and bottles you may keep in their original containers.
  • Food may be packaged in plastic containers that must be packed out with you.

Food and Fish Remains

  • Try to plan your meals so you don’t have leftovers. If you do, pack them out.
  • Dispose of fish remains by traveling well away from campsites, trails, portages and shorelines.


  • Fires are allowed within the steel fire grates at designated campsites or as specifically approved on your visitor’s permit.
  • Bringing a small camp stove may be a better idea because it heats food more quickly, has less impact than a fire, and comes in handy during rainy weather.
  • Due to the potential fire danger, fire restrictions may be put into effect. Check on current conditions just prior to your trip. You may be required to use a camp stove if there is a campfire restriction.
  • If you build a fire, burn only small diameter dead wood found lying on the ground. Do not burn trash.
  • Collect firewood away from campsites by paddling down the shore and walking into the woods where it is more abundant.
  • Wood easily broken by hand or cut with a small folding saw eliminates the need for an axe.
  • Drown your fire with water any time you are going to be away from your camp or at bedtime. Stir the ashes until they are cold to the touch with a bare hand.
  • Transporting wood from out of state is prohibited.


  • All members of a permit group must camp together.
  • Camp only at Forest Service designated campsites that have steel fire grates and wilderness latrines.
  • Make camp early in the day to ensure finding an available campsite.
  • It is illegal to cut live vegetation for any reason.
  • You may camp up to fourteen (14) consecutive days on a specific site.

Storing Watercraft

  • Only watercraft and equipment used in connection with your current visit may be stored and left unattended.
  • All equipment and personal property must be carried out with you at the end of each trip.

Cultural Heritage

  • Leave archaeological, historical, and rock painting sites undisturbed.
  • The use of metal detectors is prohibited.

Firearms & Fireworks

  • Discharging a firearm is prohibited within 150 yards of a campsite, or occupied area, or in any manner or location that places people or property at risk of injury.
  • State game laws apply in the BWCAW.
  • Fireworks of any kind are illegal.


  • Dogs impact wildlife and barking intrudes on the experience of others. They must be under control at all times.
  • Dispose of fecal matter 150 feet from water sources, campsites, and portages, or deposit it in a latrine.

Motor-Powered Watercraft Regulations

  • Motor-powered watercraft are permitted only on the following designated lakes. All other lakes or portions of lakes within the BWCAW are paddle only. Motors may not be used or be in possession on any paddle-only lake. No other motorized or mechanized equipment (including pontoon boats, sailboats, sailboards) is allowed.

Lakes With 10 Horsepower Limit

On these lakes, the possession of one additional motor no greater than 6 horsepower is permitted, as long as motors in use do not exceed 10 horsepower.
– Clearwater, North Fowl, South Fowl, Seagull (no motors generally west of Three Mile Island), sections of Island River within the BWCAW.

Lakes With 25 Horsepower Limit

  • On these lakes or portions of these lakes, the possession of one additional motor no greater than 10 horsepower is permitted, as long as motors in use do not exceed 25 horsepower:- Basswood (except that portion north of Jackfish Bay and Washington Island), Saganaga (except that portion west of American Point), Fall, Newton, Moose, Newfound, Sucker, Snowbank, East Bearskin, South Farm, Trout.

Lakes With No Horsepower Limits

– Little Vermilion, Loon, Lac La Croix (not beyond the south end of Snow Bay in the U.S.A.), Loon River.

Portage Wheels

Mechanical assistance is only permitted over the following: International Boundary, Four-Mile Portage, Fall-Newton-Pipestone and Back Bay Portages into Basswood Lake, Prairie Portage, Vermilion-Trout Lake Portage.

Non-Profit Organizations

A group must have an official tax-exempt status to qualify as a non-profit organization. If your permit reservation is audited, your group must be able to produce a tax-exempt number. All the people on the trip, with the exception of a guide, must be associated with the non-profit organization. Non-profit organizations may reserve as many permits as they like. However, there is a limit of no more than three (3) permits within a permit season to be reserved under the name of any one non-profit organization name as the Organization name associated with the Permit. Additional permits can only be reserved under a specific person’s name as group leader with no association to the Non-profit organization.

The only benefit to reserving a permit having an association to a non-profit organization’s name is that the permit may then be issued to anyone who can prove affiliation with the organization in the same location. For example, if a permit is reserved with an association to Non-profit organization “Girl Scouts, Troop 16, Chicago” then anyone affiliated with that particular organization may have the permit issued to her/him. When reserving a permit associated with a non-profit organization, the non-profit organization’s name, address and a contact person for the organization is required. The Customer profile must be under the contact person’s name and the organization under profile must be set to the Non-profit Organization. The representative of the non-profit organization that actually picks up the permit becomes the group leader, must remain with the group for the duration of the trip, and will be responsible to see that the group follows BWCAW regulations. Please contact the Forest Service office nearest your planned entry point for additional information about reserving permits planning for non-profit organizations.

BWCAW User Fees

User fees are required for all overnight visitors to the BWCAW between May 1 and September 30, in addition to the $10 permit fee:

User Fees Per Person Per Trip

Child/Youth 0-17$8.00
Interagency Senior/Access Pass Holders$8.00
Interagency Youth Access Pass Holders$4.00

BWCAW Seasonal Fee Card

The purchase of a BWCAW Seasonal Fee Card fulfills the user fee requirements for the season, but does not eliminate the need for obtaining a BWCAW permit. For reserved permits, it does not eliminate the need to pay the $6.00 reservation fee and user fee deposit. Seasonal Fee Cards may be purchased in person after May 1 from any Forest Service office.

Seasonal Fee Card Costs Per Person

Child/Youth 0-17$32.00
Interagency Senior/Access Pass Holders$32.00
Interagency Youth Access Pass Holders$16.00

Cancellation Policy:

You may cancel online anytime up to two days before the entry date for overnight permits. Cancellations made through the call center must be made March 1 – October 31 – 9:00 AM CST – 11:00 PM CST, November 1 – February 28 – 9:00 AM CST – 9:00 PM CST, two-days before the entry date. If you cancel your reservation two or more days prior to your entry date, the entire use fee paid will be refunded. If you cancel your reservation on or the day before the entry date, you will be charged a penalty of $32.00 from your use fee and any additional user fees paid will be refunded. Day use motor cancellations can be cancelled anytime during the motor week. Please cancel your reservation if you are unable to use it. The $6.00 reservation fee remains non-refundable for all reservations.

No Show Policy: If your reservation is not used, none of the fees will be refundable.

Rules and Regulations: The permit will be issued only to the group leader or an alternate leader listed on this confirmation letter and must be picked up in person. Photo identification is required at the time of permit pick-up.

Permits are not transferable. The permit will be issued only on the entry date or the day before. When issued, this permit is valid to enter the BWCAW only on the entry date and at the entry point stated above. If picking up the permit at a Forest Service Office, payments will be accepted by cash and credit cards if there is a change in group size for Overnight Permits. If utilizing a non Forest Service Permit Issue Station, payment must be made by credit card. A $2.00 service fee may be charged for Overnight Permits. When picking up the permit, allow extra time to discuss the wilderness practices and current conditions. Seasonal Fee, Interagency Senior and Access cards must be presented when permit is issued or the full use fee is charged.
Websites: Reservations:, BWCAW information: Superior National